Tracking the controversy surrounding a sex toy thrown onto the court during the August 20, 2026 WNBA game between the Atlanta Dream and Los Angeles Sparks at Crypto.com Arena, reviving a disruptive trend that affected numerous WNBA games in 2025.
A Fan Threw A Green Sex Toy Onto The Court During The Dream-Sparks Game. During the third quarter, a green sex toy flew from the stands and landed on the court in front of the Sparks bench while Los Angeles forward Jihyun Park was at the free-throw line, briefly disrupting play. [FRONT OFFICE SPORTS]
Angel Reese Pointed Out The Alleged Thrower To Security. Atlanta Dream star Angel Reese, who was at the scorer’s table waiting to enter the game, immediately pointed toward the stands after the object landed. Broadcaster Mike Watts told viewers that Reese appeared to be identifying the person responsible. [PEOPLE]
The Alleged Thrower Tried To Flee And Was Arrested. Video showed the alleged perpetrator, wearing a Los Angeles Lakers Luka Dončić jersey, running from the seating area and pushing past a security guard. Arena security apprehended the individual, who was subsequently arrested. [FRONT OFFICE SPORTS]
The Alleged Thrower Was Indefinitely Banned From NBA And WNBA Events. A source familiar with the incident told Front Office Sports that the person responsible received an indefinite ban from all WNBA, NBA and other league-affiliated games and events following the arrest. [FRONT OFFICE SPORTS]
Cameron Brink Kicked The Sex Toy Off The Playing Area. After the object landed, someone near the Lakers bench attempted to cover it with a towel before Sparks center Cameron Brink kicked it away and security removed it from the court. [FRONT OFFICE SPORTS]
The Incident Revived A Sex-Toy-Throwing Trend That Hit The WNBA In 2025. Multiple WNBA games in Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Phoenix and Los Angeles were disrupted by similar objects during the 2025 season. The trend began receiving widespread attention after a green sex toy was thrown onto the court during an Atlanta Dream-Golden State Valkyries game in July 2025. [THE GUARDIAN]
A Sex Toy Was Also Thrown Near Sophie Cunningham During A 2025 Sparks Game. During an August 2025 Los Angeles Sparks-Indiana Fever game at the same arena, a neon-green sex toy landed in the paint near Fever guard Sophie Cunningham. Cunningham had previously warned online that the trend could injure a player, while Sparks coach Lynne Roberts called the behavior dangerous and “stupid.” [LOS ANGELES TIMES]
The WNBA Threatened Arrest And Bans Over Fans Throwing Objects Onto Courts. After the 2025 incidents, the league said anyone intentionally throwing an object onto the court would be immediately ejected, face a minimum one-year ban and could also be arrested and prosecuted by local authorities. [THE GUARDIAN]
Two People Were Arrested In Connection With The 2025 Incidents. Authorities arrested 23-year-old Delbert Carver in Georgia and 18-year-old Kaden Lopez in Phoenix in connection with separate incidents during the earlier wave of sex-toy throwing. A cryptocurrency group later told Front Office Sports that it was behind many of the incidents and said Lopez was associated with its effort, although it said Carver was not. [FRONT OFFICE SPORTS]
One of the first political bloggers in the world, Oliver Willis has operated OliverWillis.com since 2000. Contributor at Media Matters for America and The American Independent. Follow on Twitter at @owillis. Full bio.