Tracking the controversy surrounding Tulsa National Little League after both its softball and baseball teams were disqualified from 2026 Southwest Region tournaments over player-eligibility issues, culminating in a court fight over whether its baseball team could continue its bid for the Little League World Series.
Tulsa National’s Baseball Team Was Disqualified On The Eve Of The Southwest Region Championship. Little League International announced on August 10 that its Tournament Committee had determined a player who participated with Tulsa National during the International Tournament was ineligible. Tulsa was removed from the Southwest Region Tournament and its previous game was declared a forfeit. [LITTLE LEAGUE]
The Disqualification Wiped Out Tulsa’s 3-2 Victory Over Louisiana. Tulsa had defeated Louisiana’s Ascension Parish Little League 3-2 on the field to advance toward the regional championship. Little League converted that result into a forfeit, allowing Louisiana to face Texas West’s Boerne Little League instead. Boerne won 4-1 and was initially declared Southwest Region champion. [KWTX]
The Disputed Player Had Already Been Removed Before Tulsa Played At Regionals. Court records reported on during the legal fight said the player whose eligibility triggered Tulsa’s disqualification had participated during the Oklahoma state tournament but did not play in any Southwest Region Tournament game. Tulsa’s parents argued that the remaining players who actually competed at regionals were eligible. [FRONT OFFICE SPORTS]
The Eligibility Dispute Centered On An Exception Involving Little League’s Challenger Program. The player lived outside Tulsa National’s geographic boundaries but had previously been treated as eligible under an exception connected to a sibling’s participation in the Challenger Division, which serves players with intellectual and physical disabilities. Little League argued in court filings that the sibling did not satisfy the requirements needed for that exception. [FRONT OFFICE SPORTS]
Other Teams Accused Tulsa Of Improperly Using The Challenger Division To Establish Eligibility. A joint protest filed by three other leagues alleged that Tulsa had improperly relied on the Challenger program to establish eligibility for the disputed player and questioned whether the sibling involved had actually participated in the program as required. Those more specific accusations came from the protesting leagues; Little League’s public disqualification statement itself said only that the player was ineligible. [SPORTING NEWS]
Tulsa Parents Sued And Temporarily Got The Team Reinstated. Parents of Tulsa players went to court after the disqualification and obtained a temporary restraining order from Texas District Judge Ryan Luna. The order blocked Little League from enforcing its decision and called for Tulsa and Boerne to play a new Southwest Region championship game, with the winner advancing to Williamsport. [KWTX]
Little League Fought The Court Order And Got It Overturned. Little League filed an emergency motion asking the judge to dissolve the restraining order, arguing in part that the regional championship had already been played and Boerne players and families had begun leaving Waco. Luna vacated the order on August 11 and denied Tulsa’s effort to remain in the tournament. [KWTX]
Little League Publicly Put Responsibility On Adult Volunteers And Parents. After the restraining order was dissolved, Little League said adults running its programs bear responsibility for following eligibility rules and ensuring children are treated fairly. The organization said it sympathized with Tulsa’s players while maintaining the disqualification and recognizing Boerne as the Southwest representative. [LITTLE LEAGUE]
Tulsa’s Softball Team Had Been Disqualified Only Weeks Earlier. On July 21, Little League removed Tulsa National’s softball team from its Southwest Region Tournament after concluding that adult volunteers and parents had failed to provide sufficient documentation establishing that every player qualified through school enrollment or residence within the league’s boundaries. Its previous game was also declared a forfeit. [LITTLE LEAGUE]
The Softball Controversy Included Allegations Of Falsified Eligibility Documents. Three protests were filed against Tulsa during the softball regional. One protest challenged the validity of tournament paperwork and alleged that information on an eligibility affidavit had been falsified. Little League ultimately based its public decision on insufficient documentation rather than publicly adopting every allegation contained in the protests. [THE IX SPORTS]
One Tulsa Softball Player Attended School In Arkansas. Reporting on the softball dispute found that one member of Tulsa’s 2026 roster had attended school in Arkansas during the 2025-26 academic year, while an initial protest questioned the residency eligibility of six of the team’s 11 players. Little League initially rejected some protests before additional information resulted in the team’s removal. [THE IX SPORTS]
The Back-To-Back Disqualifications Produced Calls For Officials To Be Removed And Tulsa’s Charter Revoked. Pottawatomie County Little League and Deer Creek Little League, backed by more than 300 coaches and parents, called for the removal of Oklahoma District Administrator Mindy Abbott and Southwest Region Director Blaine Whitmire. They also called for Tulsa National’s charter to be revoked and for some of its 2025 and 2026 tournament titles to be vacated. [FRONT OFFICE SPORTS]
Relevant YouTube Videos
One of the first political bloggers in the world, Oliver Willis has operated OliverWillis.com since 2000. Contributor at Media Matters for America and The American Independent. Follow on Twitter at @owillis. Full bio.