Tracking the scandal involving Sydney Swans AFL players following an alleged sexual assault at Melbourne’s Pullman Hotel in the early hours of August 17, 2026, after the club’s game against Essendon. Victoria Police’s Sexual Crimes Squad is investigating, and no charges have been filed.
Police Opened A Sexual Assault Investigation After A Woman Made A Complaint At The Swans’ Hotel. Victoria Police began investigating after being called to the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne, where Sydney players were staying following their victory over Essendon. Police said they were investigating a report of sexual assault made after an incident in the early hours of Monday morning. [ASSOCIATED PRESS]
Five Swans Players Were Identified As Being Present During The Controversial Hotel Gathering. Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice were identified by the club as the five Sydney players involved in the hotel-room gathering connected to the controversy. The club has emphasized that none of its sanctions establish that any of the players committed sexual assault, and as of August 22 none of the five had been arrested or charged. [THE GUARDIAN]
The Swans Banned All Five Players For The Rest Of The 2026 Season. Sydney barred Heeney, Warner, Blakey, Jordon and Bice from selection for the remainder of the regular season and finals. CEO Matthew Pavlich said the club punishment concerned separate breaches of team standards, including staying out late, drinking, continuing their night and bringing women back to the team hotel. The club stressed that the disciplinary action was independent of the police investigation. [SYDNEY SWANS] [ASSOCIATED PRESS]
The Five Suspended Players Apologized And Said Their Behavior Fell Well Short Of Club Standards. In a joint statement released following their suspensions, the five players said they were “deeply sorry to everyone involved” and acknowledged that their behavior had fallen well short of both the standards expected of them and the values of the Sydney Swans. [THE GUARDIAN]
Lawyers For Women Involved Alleged “Abhorrent” Conduct And Said Their Clients Were Traumatized. Attorney John Karantzis, representing two women who were present, alleged that his clients had been subjected to demeaning and “abhorrent” behavior and said they were suffering severe stress and anxiety. He said the women were in hiding and feared for their safety. The specific allegations remain subject to the ongoing police investigation. [SBS NEWS]
A Lawyer Disputed The Club’s Account Of How Many Men Were In The Hotel Room. Karantzis said more than five men had been present in the room and accused the Swans of not yet being fully transparent. The club responded that its own investigation found that the only club representatives in the room were the five suspended players, specifically denying that coaches or other staff members were present and condemning contrary reports as misinformation. [SBS NEWS]
Three Women Began Exploring Civil Claims Over The Hotel Incident. One woman retained Slater and Gordon and began considering a civil claim while continuing to cooperate with police. Lawyers representing two other women said they were preparing potential proceedings against the club and possibly individuals involved seeking damages for alleged pain and suffering, psychological injury and economic loss. [THE GUARDIAN]
The AFL Launched Its Own Investigation And Called The Allegations “Deeply Concerning.” AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon said the reported conduct and allegations raised broader questions about the league’s responsibilities and emphasized that the woman who reported the alleged assault was entitled to privacy and care. The AFL Integrity Unit also began its own investigation. [ASSOCIATED PRESS] [SBS NEWS]
The Scandal Triggered Major Commercial Fallout For Isaac Heeney And Other Players. Colgate suspended its partnership with Heeney, Telstra halted ambassador activity involving Heeney and Warner, and Heeney was removed from promotional material for football clinics he co-owned. Bookstores pulled his Little Isaac Footy Fever children’s books, while publisher Allen & Unwin paused promotion of the existing series and suspended publication of another installment pending the outcome of the police investigation. [THE GUARDIAN]
The Suspensions Effectively Upended Sydney’s Finals Campaign. The punishment removed five players, including stars Heeney, Warner and Blakey, from a Swans team headed for the AFL finals. Chairman Andrew Pridham said the willingness to potentially “torpedo” the club’s season demonstrated how seriously Sydney viewed the players’ breaches of club standards. [ASSOCIATED PRESS]
One of the first political bloggers in the world, Oliver Willis has operated OliverWillis.com since 2000. Contributor at Media Matters for America and The American Independent. Follow on Twitter at @owillis. Full bio.