One person was killed and three others were injured in a sword attack at Brinell School in Fagersta, Sweden, on August 21, 2026. Police arrested an 18-year-old man, reportedly a former student at the school, after officers responded to reports of ongoing deadly violence. Two teenage boys were seriously injured, while a third injured person suffered less serious wounds. Authorities say they currently believe the attacker acted alone and have not announced a motive.
Brinell School Sword Attack
Sword-Wielding Attacker Entered Brinell School During Classes. Police were called to Brinell School shortly after 2 p.m. after receiving reports of an ongoing deadly attack. Approximately 400 to 500 students were at the school when the assault occurred. Authorities say the assailant was armed with a sword. [Associated Press]
One Person Killed And Three Others Injured In Attack. Police found one person dead while searching the school. Three additional people were injured, including two boys between the ages of 12 and 17 whose conditions were described as serious but stable. A third injured person was treated for less serious injuries. [Reuters]
Police Shot And Arrested 18-Year-Old Suspect. Officers confronted the alleged attacker after arriving at the school. Police fired at the suspect before taking him into custody. Authorities said he remained in police custody following the shooting and was not hospitalized. [Associated Press]
Suspect Reportedly Was Former Student At Brinell School. Swedish broadcaster SVT reported that the 18-year-old suspected of carrying out the attack had previously attended Brinell School. SVT also reported that he wore a helmet during the assault. [SVT]
Suspect Previously Convicted Of Assaulting Another Student. SVT reported that the suspect had previously been convicted of assaulting a student at another school in Fagersta. He had also previously received care under Sweden’s compulsory-care law for young people. [SVT]
Police Say They Do Not Believe Additional Attackers Were Involved. After searching Brinell School, authorities said they had found no additional injured people and no evidence that another attacker remained inside the building. Police said they were not searching for additional suspects. [SVT]
Brinell School Attack Investigation
Police Searched Two Addresses Connected To Suspect. Investigators conducted searches at two residences associated with the 18-year-old following the attack. Police also began collecting surveillance footage and planned to interview numerous students and other witnesses as they worked to establish the attacker’s movements and motive. [Associated Press]
Authorities Investigating TikTok Account Possibly Connected To Attacker. Investigators are examining a TikTok account believed to possibly be associated with the suspect. A photograph of a sword was reportedly posted to the account shortly before the school attack. Authorities had not publicly established what role, if any, the social-media material played in the attacker’s motive. [Reuters]
Police Have Not Announced A Motive For Sword Attack. Authorities said the investigation was still at an early stage and they had not determined why the 18-year-old allegedly targeted Brinell School or the people who were attacked. Police currently believe he acted alone. [Associated Press]
Brinell School Lockdown
Other Fagersta Schools Were Locked Down During Attack. Several schools in Fagersta placed students under lockdown while police responded to the violence at Brinell School. Parents were not permitted to collect children until police later determined it was safe to lift the restrictions. [SVT]
Fagersta Opened Crisis Center For Students And Families. Municipal officials established a crisis center at Risbrohallen following the attack to provide support for students, relatives and others affected by the violence. Regional authorities also activated emergency coordination procedures to manage medical and other resources. [SVT]
One of the first political bloggers in the world, Oliver Willis has operated OliverWillis.com since 2000. Contributor at Media Matters for America and The American Independent. Follow on Twitter at @owillis. Full bio.