Fortitude Netflix Security Breach Explained

Tracking the security controversy surrounding the disappearance of an unencrypted copy of the unreleased Nicolas Cage World War II spy thriller Fortitude from Netflix’s Hollywood offices and the resulting $105 million lawsuit against the streaming company.

An Unencrypted Copy Of Fortitude Was Stolen From Netflix’s Offices. Producer Simon Afram and his company Op-Fortitude allege that an unencrypted drive containing the unreleased movie disappeared after it was delivered to Netflix’s Hollywood offices for a potential distribution screening in June 2026. Netflix acknowledged that multiple drives had been stolen from office desks. [REUTERS]

Netflix Employee Said Someone Stole “A Good Amount Of Drives” From Office Desks. Netflix director of original film Sean Berney told the filmmakers in an email that “someone stole a good amount of drives from our office desks” and said the company’s security teams had been unable to recover them. [ARS TECHNICA]

The Filmmakers Accused Netflix Of Leaving The Unencrypted Movie Sitting On A Desk. The lawsuit alleges Netflix knew the drive was unencrypted but nevertheless failed to store it in a locked location, maintain a chain of custody or otherwise use basic physical-security measures to safeguard the unreleased movie. Netflix disputes that it bears responsibility for a film delivered without what it calls proper industry-standard protections. [ARS TECHNICA]

The Producers Say Netflix Asked For The Film To Be Delivered Unencrypted. According to the complaint, associate producer Daniel Haido delivered the movie on June 15 with its content protection disabled at Netflix’s request so executives could screen it. Netflix has countered that the filmmakers failed to use appropriate security safeguards. [BLOOMBERG LAW]

Netflix Allegedly Waited Days Before Telling The Filmmakers About The Theft. Afram’s lawsuit says the production repeatedly attempted to retrieve the drive before Netflix finally disclosed on June 25 that it had been stolen, despite Netflix having known about the theft for days. [ARS TECHNICA]

The Producers Sued Netflix For At Least $105 Million. Afram and Op-Fortitude filed a federal lawsuit accusing Netflix of negligence and other wrongdoing and alleging that the theft seriously damaged the commercial value of a film that cost more than $45 million and seven years to produce. [REUTERS]

The Producers Say The Security Breach Could Destroy The Movie’s Distribution Value. The lawsuit argues that potential buyers may be unwilling to spend millions acquiring and marketing Fortitude while an accessible copy could potentially leak onto piracy sites at any time. The producers said they halted marketing and sales efforts following the theft. [BLOOMBERG LAW]

Netflix Denied Liability And Blamed The Lack Of Encryption. Netflix said it does not own the rights to Fortitude and disputes any suggestion that it bears the risk of losing a movie delivered without industry-standard safeguards. The company said it conducted an investigation and offered to monitor piracy sites for unauthorized distribution. [NBC LOS ANGELES]

Netflix Accused The Producers’ Lawyers Of Trying To Extort $165 Million. In defending its handling of the incident, Netflix accused Afram’s lawyers of hostile attempts to “extort money” from the company, including allegedly demanding $165 million rather than cooperating with Netflix’s investigation. [BLOOMBERG LAW]

Afram Added A Defamation Claim After Netflix Accused His Side Of Extortion. Afram amended the litigation to add a defamation claim based on Netflix’s public statement accusing his representatives of attempting to extort the company. [THEWRAP]

The LAPD Opened An Investigation After Afram Filed A Police Report. Afram’s attorneys filed a report with the Los Angeles Police Department alleging that Netflix had lost the drive and was withholding information concerning its internal investigation. The dispute had therefore expanded from a private security investigation and civil lawsuit into a police matter by August 2026. [LOS ANGELES TIMES]

Afram Accused Netflix Of Potentially Suppressing Evidence About The Theft. The police report alleged there was reason to believe Netflix or its employees could be suppressing or failing to preserve evidence concerning the disappearance of the drive, an allegation that had not been established by police or a court. [LOS ANGELES TIMES]

There Was No Evidence The Movie Had Leaked Online As Of August 2026. Netflix said it had found no evidence that Fortitude had actually been leaked or distributed by whoever obtained the drive, although the filmmakers argue that the continuing possibility of a future leak itself damages the film’s value. [ARS TECHNICA]

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.