The 2016 Republican National Convention will be held at Quicken Loans Arena from July 18-21 in Cleveland, Ohio. The goal of the event is to officially nominate Donald Trump and his running mate as the Republican Party’s presidential and vice-presidential nominees for the 2016 United States presidential election. The convention will be presided over by RNC chairman Reince Priebus.
Cleveland Convention Fears
Cleveland officials are worried about the violence that might erupt at the convention, particularly between pro-Trump and anti-Trump protesters – especially those that are armed. The city recently increased its “protest insurance” policy to $50 million.
Benghazi At The Convention
The first night at the Republican Convention will be dedicated to the Benghazi conspiracy theory. Despite congressional and government investigations clearing Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama of wrongdoing, Republicans plan to promote the conspiracy theory at the convention.
2016 Republican Party Platform Highlights
The party platform is also decided at the Republican Convention. As delegates debated what should be included, “nearly every provision that expressed disapproval of homosexuality, same-sex marriage or transgender rights passed.”
Here are some notable ideas in the platform:
- Women should be barred from military combat, according to the GOP platform
- Delegates rejected attempts to change the Republican Party’s position against same-sex marriage. Gay delegate Rachel Hoff said, “I certainly think we’re alienating the LGBT community who might consider voting Republican.”
- The platform echoes Trump’s call for a border wall on the southern border of the United States with Mexico
- Polluting coal is called “clean” energy in the platform
- Pornography is labeled a “public health crisis” in the platform
Democratic Response To GOP Convention
Democrats are planning to stage events to coincide with the Republican convention. “Better than this” is the theme of the campaign they will be running: “The Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee’s efforts will be focused on the theme “Better Than This,” arguing that basically, America can do better than picking a man like Trump as president. Expect celebrities and activists to be tweeting #BetterThanThis as Trump and other Republicans take the stage at the convention.” Their headquarters will be base d in the same neighborhood as the convention and they will hold daily press conferences and phone calls to counterprogram the event.
Protests At The Republican Convention
9/11 conspiracy theorist Alex Jones is organizing a pro-Trump protest at the convention along with top Trump confidante and Republican dirty trickster Roger Stone. Progressive groups are also scheduled to be at the protest to oppose Trump’s anti-immigrant , anti-Muslim, and anti-woman policies.
Guns At The Convention
Ohio is an open-carry state, and some Republican delegates have said that they plan to carry guns to the event in order to protect themselves against protesters. But “water guns, gas masks, swords, and nunchucks” are prohibited.
Republicans Are Avoiding The Convention
Many Senators and Congressmen are skipping the convention. The Associated Press reports that “the level of rank-and-file congressional defections from this year’s Republican convention is unusually high.”
Notable Speakers At The Republican Convention
Most of the speakers slated to speak at the convention are long-time Trump supporters and “B” and “C” list celebrities, along with Republican politicians. The Washington Post described the disappointing lineup as “This isn’t the Republican National Convention. It’s the Trump National Convention.”
Missing speakers include former Presidents George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, who have not endorsed Trump, as well as former Vice President Dick Cheney. Sarah Palin will not be speaking either.
Full list of convention speakers.
- All of Donald Trump’s adult children are scheduled to speak at the convention
- Milwaukee Sheriff David A. Clarke, Jr. is a conspiracy theorist who said that Black Lives Matter is working with ISIS in order to destroy the United States
- Paypal co-founder Peter Thiel, who financed the lawsuit against Gawker after they published Hulk Hogan’s sex tape
- Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, who is under suspicion after giving Trump’s Trump University a pass when he gave her a campaign contribution
- Antonio Sabato Jr., former underwear model who called for President Obama and Hillary Clinton to be arrested
- Golfer Natalie Gulbis is only ranked 484th in the world, but is a friend of Trump’s
- Tim Tebow, failed NFL quarterback who couldn’t get a job in the league after being cut several years ago
- Mark Burns, a preacher who called on Jewish candidate Bernie Sanders to “get saved” and “meet Jesus.”
Sex At the Republican Convention
Strip club owners have said that “It’s all hands on deck—we’ve cancelled all vacations [for convention week], ordered in extra stock of alcohol, food, everything” because “Republicans love strippers, so we’re just hoping to make some money.” The state is allowing alcohol to be sold until 4am during the time of the convention.